17 June 2006

BPD/DS

Biliopancreatice Diversion with Duodenal Switch (BPD/DS or DS). Say that fast 3 times and try not to swear! Well, this the surgery I am having as I am sure it is the best one for me. Although I hate to put this out into the universe, I am 32 years old, weigh over 500 lbs, have high blood pressure, pre-diabetes and many systems that mimic Lupus. It doesn't get more mortifying than that.

The Roux-en-Y procedure, the most common weight loss surgery (WLS) is just not as effective for someone in my position and I know with my personal history that it wouldn't be as successful. The DS differs from the RNY in that the DS is both restrictive and malabsorptive meaning, not only can you not eat a lot of food, the food that you do eat is not absorbed as much. It's like a double whammy of sorts. With the DS, I know I am giving myself the best chance possible. I believe that in 2 years, I will be at my goal weight of 175lbs. I am 5'10" so that is a good weight for me. If you did the math that's like 325 lbs in two years. I believe it's totally doable.

My plans right now are to have the surgery in September and I definitely want to lose as much weight as I can beforehand and to be as healthy as I possibly can. I figure the healthier I am the better the whole situation is not only when it comes down to actually having the surgery, but also in recovery. My goal is to be super-compliant and to give myself the best possible chance. As soon as I wake up from surgery, it's going to on, no more playing around.

Just thinking about it makes me excited.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home