15 June 2008

GOOOOAAALLLLLLL!!!!

Dr. Marchesini's goal, that is! Yeah, baby, yeah! 250 is the number Dr. M. told me I'd lose to and that I'd be a success. I have officially met and exceeded that goal! This morning, I hit an all-time low, 249.6 lbs! Yea! That's a loss of 2.4 lbs since yesterday, 20.4 lbs in 12 days (mostly water) and a grand total of 267 lbs loss. Woo-hoo! I feel like I've broken through a barrier. It seems like I've been on the brink since early April when I got down to 251.2 lbs, but then I went home on vacation, came back and was sick for like 2+ weeks, then my dad had his accident & surgery and I wasn't eating like I should, etc, etc. and I gained like 20+ lbs of freakin' water. Once I got my mind right and back on track -- getting my protein in -- the water weight really started to drop. I mean, 20.4 lbs in 12 days is craziness and to think I had been lugging that around. It's a little scary too to think that my body is that sensitive to protein deficiencies and it wasn't like I was getting no protein in, I was probably in the 70-100g range, which isn't great, but not horrible, but it wasn't enough. I think for me, I maybe absorb more like 35-40% of the protein I eat versus the 50% or so that is often mentioned in Duodenal Switch circles. I have a short common channel (65 cm) and I think a good bit of my small bowel bypassed (over 45%) so I most likely tend toward needing much more protein than the average DSer. I easily get in over 100g before noon. That will be my life, I just have to accept it and let me tell you, it's a heckuva lot easier to accept choking down protein shakes everyday for the rest of my life than living a much shorter life being 500 lbs.

I sort of indirectly mentioned it yesterday, but I am officially changing my goal weight to 216.6 lb as far as pre-plastics are concerned. I want to lose as much fat as I can PLUS I want to add some muscle so I figure I can do that much more safely in the 210's than sub 200. I'm just worried that losing down to 199, I would be losing fat AND muscle which would not be good since my muscle tone sucks right now anyway. I'd rather be fit, strong and healthy at 216 than weak, skinny and sickly at 199.

Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there. I will be calling mine today. He is doing so much better, he's back to driving and getting out on his own and he's back to cracking jokes about mom so I know he's almost back to normal. I'm hoping to get down there sometime in late Summer, but I do have a trip to my alma mater in early September so we'll see. The trip back to my alma mater is important because I have to go thank my mentor and tell her what a positive influence she's been to me, the football game, etc. is secondary to that.

No tennis clinic today, that starts next week so I am going to go practice my serve and backhands, then it's off to BP's house to setup for a couple of new employees we have starting on Monday.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A great big grin broke out over my face as soon as I read the title of today's post: YOU GO, GIRL!

I am *so* proud of you, and I'm *so* in awe of you. You always make me want to try a little bit harder with my own DS, and if you EVER come out to the greater SF Bay Area, TELL ME, because I'd love to get together.

I have a short cc, too (50 cm), and like you, I think I need to eat A LOT of protein as a result because my malabsorption is that much greater.

Wow. Tia, GOAL!!!!!! HUGS.

June 15, 2008 at 1:22 PM  
Blogger Aussieabroad said...

Oh Tia... this post brought me to tears. Like Allison, I have always been inspired by you. Your dedication to your DS and more importantly to yourself is truly amazing. You deserve this success.

I am thrilled for you. Congratulations and thank you for continuing to share your story.

June 15, 2008 at 9:26 PM  
Blogger Little Chef On The Prairie said...

WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I am so happy for you Tia!!! :)

Tiffany

June 16, 2008 at 8:06 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Damn girl....Way to go!!!!!!

You are truly an inspiration to all.

Sharon

June 16, 2008 at 9:43 AM  
Blogger Lisa Williams said...

Tia,

Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you. You could be a motivational speaker you know.

I too appreciate you for sharing your story.

I'm glad your Dad is doing better.

Sincerely,
Lisa

June 16, 2008 at 6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home