14 February 2008

Can I name it?

I told myself I'd wait til 1:00 PM today to call my doctor's office, but ended up calling them at around 9:30. I gave the nurse my info and about an hour and a half later I got a call back from a different doctor (Dr. B). Apparently, my doc (Dr. A) is out of the office today (dangit), but he gave me the low down of what my X-Ray says so far. Apparently, there is an abnormality in/around/by/of the sella turcica and the radiologist has recommended an MRI. The sella turcica is the area of the skull where the pituitary gland is. Dr. B asked why Dr. A had me get the X-Ray in the first place and I told him about my elevated prolactin levels and I gave him the number. He said that it looks like I have a pituitary tumor and he said that odds are, Dr. A will either refer me to an Endocrinologist (yes, I can deal with that) or a Neurosurgeon (uh...no). He also said such things respond well to medication (woo-hoo!). Okay, this is basically what I expected, except that I didn't think I needed to get an MRI which just makes this whole debacle sound a helluva lot more serious, especially when you hear "neurosurgeon" come out of somebody's mouth. Not to mention the fact that I have this fear of not fitting into an MRI although it'll be only of my head.

All of a sudden, I'm not quite so impatient. LOL! Anyway, I'm just going to calmly wait to talk to Dr. A. tomorrow and hear what he recommends I do and grill the heck out of him. I think I will give my tumor (if that is indeed the final DX) a name...I gotta think of something good. If people can name their hernias, I can name my tumor! In the meantime, life goes on. I'm starving and it's time for food....

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be holding good thoughts for ya!!

But doesn't it feel better to put a "name" on the problem? It does for me.

Keep us posted!!

Hugs,

Jules

February 14, 2008 at 7:15 PM  
Blogger Aussieabroad said...

Keeping my fingers cross for you. Maybe you can have a naming competition...it may be kinda fun.

Seriously though - you're in my thoughts...I'm still rooting for a simple answer.

Now the upside... you will fit into the MRI machine. I have them regularly - the last one was before surgery and I had to raise my arms above my head in order to be squeezed in like sausage meat into a casing. I can't wait for my next one! Good luck.

Hugs

February 15, 2008 at 8:52 PM  
Blogger Little Chef On The Prairie said...

Please keep us posted.

February 16, 2008 at 12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home