05 April 2008

All done...

So I had my doctor's appointment yesterday with the Endocrinologist and left relieved and satisfied. I asked my nine hundred questions and he patiently answered each one. The diagnosis was exactly as I had thought - prolactinoma. He said the MRI showed an empty sella turcica. The sella turcica is where the pituitary gland resides. My pituitary gland was smooshed up against the wall because of an adenoma/prolactinoma. It's not life-threatening (I had to ask) and he's confident that with finding the right dosage of medication, the tumor should shrink and hopefully be gone in the next 2 years or so. I am to return in 3 months to check my prolactin levels to determine whether or not the dosage needs to be increased or decreased. I left with some orders for lab tests to be done on this upcoming Monday and there are a lot. I asked for my Calcium and Vitamin D to be checked since osteoporosis can develop if your prolactin levels are high for a long period of time.

All in all, I feel much, much better about this stuff and feel like I can just add treatment (1 pill, once a week) to my routine and go about my daily life. I did have my blood pressure checked and it was a stellar 102/66. I will wait til after the Peachtree Road Race to see my PCP about getting off the BP meds. By then, certainly, it should be time.

Weight this morning was 251.4 lbs, I am finally showing a loss for the month. Yesterday I weighed in at freakin' 255.4, the day before, 256.4. Constipation is a !@#$%. Total weight loss so far, 265.4 lbs. One of the good things I've discovered out of all this is that I am handling all the weight gain/loss much better. A year ago, hell, six months ago, I would have been crazy frustrated and probably would have sabotaged myself somehow, now I know what's going on and know that as long as I eat like I know how to eat, the weight will eventually come off. It's the old "blame the poop" defense! At times I do have these urges to buy a box of Krispy Kremes to "make myself feel better" but those urges are more easily dismissed than ever before. I wonder if it's because as I'm becoming happier and happier with my body, I am becoming more and more unwilling to do things to slow down progress PLUS I feel really good about my nutrition. Right now when I think "Yum, Krispy Kremes", I immediately start thinking "Ugh, gas and diarrhea. No thanks!" That's the thing, the more I want to be out in the world, enjoying life, the less I want to deal with gas and poop issues. If that isn't motivation to stay away from sugar & carbs, I don't know what is. I will eventually go down the Flagyl road, but not until I reach goal. I'm sure the stuff has magical powers but I ain't taking it if there is any chance it'll slow down my weight loss. Uh-uh, no way.

Since it's basically rainy and cold today, I'm going to go ahead and knock out a few errands I have to get done before my trip -- prescription refills, pay the lawn guy, buy some memory for my laptop, etc. I have dinner plans tonight with some friends so that should be fun. Tomorrow is supposed to be the direct opposite of today, mid-70's and perfectly sunny. My kind of weather which means TENNIS! I gotta find some footwork drills to work on....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tia, you are an amazing woman. Truly. I enjoy your blog so much. I hope I can be something like you when I grow up. ;-)

Yay! for good news at the doc!

Best,

Jules

April 5, 2008 at 8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home