11 November 2006

Buh-Bye

Nice knowing you, 440's, it's been real. 439.8 today.

I mentioned the enchilada casserole I made the other day. I've been eating off of it all week. The interesting thing about it is that I didn't drain the fat off the hamburger meat when I cooked it so it was pretty fatty. Delicious, but fatty. The odd thing is that the weight has been dropping pretty consistently and almost as importantly, I haven't had any poop issues. No constipation. Looking at my average for the week in Fitday (yes, I still track it all) I am averaging about 1400 calories, 90 grams of fat, 29 grams of carbs (mostly fiber) and about 129 grams of protein. I typically eat 5 times a day, 3 meals and 2 snacks. I hardly eat any carbs. I used to be tempted every now and again with grits or pasta, but after giving them a whirl a couple of times and not feeling too hot afterwards, they tempt me no more. It's strange because I used to love that kind of stuff, but it just sits in my stomach like a brick and often feels like wet sand or sludge going down. Not exactly appealing.

I am little intrigued by my disinterest in sweets though. I take these chewable Calcium Citrate wafers four times a day and I swear, it's like eating candy. They taste great, but they are sweet. The thing is I don't know if they really are that sweet or is it just me. I drink Nectar Roadside Lemonade every morning and it's kinda sweet too. I used to looooove sweets, my nemesis. It's a wonder I wasn't already diabetic. Today, I see cookies & cakes & pastries in the store or on TV or at someone's house and I just can't do it, even if I wanted to and I don't want to.

This may be my favorite part of the DS. Back around a year ago when I first decided to look into WLS, I went to my first support group meeting and that just happened to be the meeting where Dr. Smith was going to show video of both the RNY and the DS. He explained the plusses and minuses of both procedures and walked through them both. As a tangent, I truly believe God works in mysterious ways because what are the odds that my first step in this whole journey would be that meeting where I first learned about the DS. Had I not gone, I'm not sure I would have even entertained the thought. Anyway, one of the things Dr. Smith mentioned was that if you were a person who was beholden to sweets, the RNY would probably be better surgery for you because of dumping and how it discourages people from partaking of sweets. That stuck in my head and although I did leave there thinking I wanted the DS, a few weeks later, I had decided that maybe the RNY was better for me because of the sweets thing. Luckily, I changed my mind. It's just ironic (or not) that it seems like my sweet tooth may be resolved anyway. I don't know if it is permanent or not, but for now I have no interest in anything that even remotely sugary. Yuck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home