30 October 2006

Two Months

Two months ago, right about now actually, I was walking down the street with Durval in Curitiba, Brazil on the way to the hospital to have a Biliopancreatice Diversion w/ Duodenal Switch with the legendary, Dr. Joao Marchesini. Surprisingly, I was pretty calm and would actually remain so the rest of the day. I didn't cry once, which surprised me to be quite frank. I thought I'd be freaking out, but I made a decision pretty early on to put all of it into God's hands and I would be alright. Surgery was textbook, recovery was textbook, except for a cold I caught from my support people and seroma I got a week later. I made it back to the US in one piece. That was my goal.

Two months ago, my life changed in so many ways. I'm not an entirely different person, but I now put myself first instead of my business or my business partner and her life. I take care of me first. I do for me first because I need to and this is the time that I should. Strangely, I feel more empowered because I am taking care of me. My life now requires it. My day-to-day is all about protein, water, supplements and exercise, and you know what? It feels good.

Two months ago, I was sitting at the highest weight I have ever been. It's almost unbelievable how I got so big and honestly, outside of the people who read this blog, no one I know knows how bad it got. Moving in the world was difficult. I was isolating myself because I didn't fit. My health was slowly declining and I honestly felt like this surgery was my last hope. It was my private pain. My brother had recently passed away. He was SMO, was diabetic and had high blood pressure. I could have understandably postponed my surgery to go to his funeral, but in my heart I knew that no matter what, I had to go to Brazil and get this surgery done. I didn't want to end up like him, dead way before my time. When asked what is it that I had hoped to get out of this surgery, I paused and said "I want my chance."

Today, I have so much hope. Today, I breathe easier, walk easier. Today, I am off my insulin resistance medication. Today, my blood pressure medication has been reduced. Today, every day gets better.

I have a long way to go, as most morbidly obese people do, but I am getting there, one day at a time.

Two months ago today, I weighed 510 lbs, down from a high of 516.6. Today I weigh 447.4 lbs. That's 69.2 lbs lost since my highest, and 63 lbs since surgery. Not too bad :). That is the most weight I've ever lost in my life! Simply amazing. Thank you, God! Thank you Dr. M! Thank you everyone who has helped me in the past two months, especially my switch buddies, Jamie, Deb, Jackie & Kevin, my role model, Kim, my business partner, D, (even though I want to choke her sometimes), my two support people and of course, my family.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations in so many ways.

It just gets better. My thoughts and prayers go out to you about your brother. I can only imagine that that loss will always be with you. :(

October 30, 2006 at 8:34 PM  
Blogger Aussieabroad said...

This is an amazing result... maybe I should smack you for worrying about your little stall :)

Congrats - you are doing so well. I only hope that I get these sort of result when it's my turn.

Keep up the great work

Ann

October 31, 2006 at 9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and it gets better and better and better, believe me.....

October 31, 2006 at 6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home