21 October 2006

Day 6 - Hallelujah

I have to admit something. When I first had the surgery, I don't think I was fully mentally prepared for post-op life. I really wasn't. All my energy, and I do mean ALL, was spent on making sure I survived surgery and made it home in one piece. After I got home, the reality of having the DS hit me hard. I really struggled for a good week or two. Now things are different and I've realized how much of a commitment this surgery/new life is. I don't want to scare anyone away from having WLS, but one needs to know what one is getting oneself involved in.

Thank God I get to work from home because from 8 AM to around 9 PM, my main goals in life are (1)nutrition (2) hydration and (3) supplementation. Before surgery, I could sit at my desk for 3-4 hours programming away. Not any more. I can't sit for 1.5 hours straight. I eat 5-6 times a day every 1.5-2.0 hours. In between those times, I have to get my water in. I have to take vitamins and supplements 4 times a day when I'm not eating AND let's not even talk about having to go the potty. At least 2-4 times a day. This surgery requires that kind of vigilance. Mind you, it won't be like this forever. Things do calm down and get easier. If I had to get up and go out to work today, yes, I could probably handle it like most post-ops do. The important thing to remember is overall vigilance. I have a finite time in which to make the most out of my weight loss window and if I am not compliant with my doctor's orders, if I don't eat right, get my vitamins in, drink my water, exercise, then I'm doomed to being disappointed. Kim, at support group meeting, really confirmed that for me.

Luckily, I have been able to get myself into a routine and I have been able to employ some timesaving measures like the pot roast thing, for example. I've also been able to make sure I have quick snacks or ready made protein drinks just in case my schedule does get crazy or when I get caught up in other crap.

I don't expect to be perfect, but I am going to try my hardest. I don't want to be sitting here a year from now full of regrets.

Yesterday's food:

B - Nectar Roadside Lemonade Protein Drink (46 grams protein)
S - 3 oz. Slow cooked pot roast, couple bites of potato (25 grams)
L - Ground Beef Patty & two slices Mild Cheddar (32 grams)
D - Low Carb tortilla w/ two slices mild cheddar (15 grams)
S - Low Carb tortilla w/ two slices mild cheddar (15 grams)

Totals: 1323 calories, 85g fat, 28g carbs, 132g protein

The carb levels are probably a little high, but because of the LC Tortillas, 16 of those 28 grams of carbs are fiber. I made quesadillas, yum. I'm gonna try an LC enchilada casserole one of these days with lots of meat, cheese & onions. Yum.

Anyway, I am saving the best news for last. First I gotta say, THANK YOU GOD. This morning I weighed in at 456.4 lbs. Looks like my stall is broken. Talk about a sigh of relief. I think it was a combination of a lot of things that did it, eating more, exercising more (been getting on my exercise bike and walking), drinking more water, staying away from salty foods, etc.

Today, I am taking my weekly pictures, taking my measurements and putting away the scale for at least a week. I don't think weighing everyday is doing me much good.

Big sigh. I think things are moving in the right direction.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl-

You are moving ahead. You are finding what works. Sausage and pickles weren't working. I suspect LC tortillas won't be great either, but they could be better with more MEAT inside of them. Work on getting 20g of protein with each eating opportunity. And, I am so happy your water is up!!!!!!!

You are moving through this one day at a time and you can do it. In a month or two, we will be chuckling about your panic of this stall.

Congratulations on that moving scale.

October 22, 2006 at 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home