27 January 2008

Game, set, match!

I am a happy, sore girl. Today I went out to see my business partner and her husband play their tennis matches. Despite the cold, it was fun and I got to observe actual play and ask a ton of questions. They both lost (their team kinda sucks) but at least they both went to 3 sets. Enough about them though, I'm surprised that I like it more than I thought I would. I was certainly excited about being out there and moving around and testing the limits of my physical and meager athletic abilities, but I was a little unsure of how much I would enjoy the game of it. I think what I like about it is that it is interactive and requires a good amount of skill. My choices of exercises in the past have all been solo endeavors (running) or easy (walking). Tennis means I have to take lessons (hopefully twice a week), do some practice on my own and hopefully join a team (translation: socializing). I like the idea of me playing a sport, something not on the radar two years ago. Tennis is also more strenuous than just walking or running...mind you we must remember where I am in the whole running thing - beginner - I can't run more than 3 minutes at a time right now so even with my training for the 5K, once I knock out my 1/2 hour, I'm not all that tired. Famous last words, right? Well, after my tennis lesson yesterday, I was soaked in sweat and exhausted! It felt good to actually feel like I worked up a sweat. Anyway, long story short, I have to make sure that I don't burn myself out with running and tennis, I'm all hyper about tennis right now, but I just need to calm down and pace myself... I'm not going to be winning the city championships tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll alternate tennis & running on alternate days. That should work.

The plan is to keep up with practice & drills for the next 4-5 months and hopefully by summer I can join a team. One thing I gotta do is manage my 5K training with tennis better. I was supposed to run today, but absolutely could not, I could barely walk. I am going to run tomorrow and am repeating week 3. I basically knew that as soon as I finished Day 1 of Week 3 as Week 4 is all about 5 minute runs and I'm not near being able to run 5 straight minutes, maybe once, but definitely not within 20 minutes! I'm going to have to work towards it, no doubt.

Yeah, well, my muscles still ache so it's a hot shower and bedtime for me!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home