07 December 2006

Safety Net

The other night I got a call from a good friend of mine, one of my oldest friends in fact. We both lead pretty busy lives so it's not unusual for us to not talk to each other for months. There is nothing stressful about that and when we do talk, it's like we were never apart. Anyway, he called to let me know that he's engaged, which honestly shocked the hell out of me. He talked a little bit about her and mentioned the fact that he would be moving to where she lived, which also shocked the hell out of me because I always thought he'd stay in the part of the country where he currently is. I bring this up because he is one of those people that I always thought that we could have had something together had I not been overweight. On almost all other levels we click perfectly. I remember this one time a few years ago, the company I worked for in Atlanta sent me up to his city to work for a client on-site for about a week. Not only did we spend every night hanging out, but we even had lunch several times. It was an easy, comfortable and fun time. He even ditched a date for me.

Don't get me wrong, I am really happy for my friend. I am, by no means, pining for him, it's just a little weird that that far fetched possibility is no more. By the way, I didn't mention the surgery and honestly I haven't really told many people. Not even a lot of my friends in town know about it. Un/fortunately I am still in that comfort zone, so to speak, where I am at a weight and size that isn't vastly different than what I have been for the past 6, 7, 8 years. I arrived in Atlanta weighing about 25 lbs less than what I weigh now so I don't need to explain anything to anybody because frankly, they don't know any better. Outside of my family, my business partner, our employees and my best friend, no one knows. I figure I got about 3-4 months of this comfort zone left.

Anyway, he mentioned a September/October wedding and as long as it isn't on my family reunion weekend, I will be attending. That'll definitely be a shock for him and probably quite a few other people as we know a lot of the same folks.

Well, I did my walk today and admittedly, I was struggling. I think my night protein shake is giving me a bit of the runs and so I was a little bit less hydrated this morning than normal. I felt a little sluggish about 3/5 of the way through and had to pace myself during the homestretch. I also noticed that my hips were aching a little bit, I'm guessing maybe because I pushed it quite a bit yesterday, some left over soreness I presume. I did go the whole way though. Overall, not too shabby, I think. According to my pedometer, I walked 38 mins, 3943 steps and 1.45 miles. I'm not sure how accurate that is as I pretty much walked the same distance as I did yesterday. Well, we'll see what tomorrows numbers show. The best thing of all is that I weighed in at 426.8 lbs. Good bye 430's for sure. I noticed the edema in my legs has lessened greatly and hopefully by tomorrow/Saturday I will be back to normal. It's funny/ironic that I had to increase my protein to over 160 grams to start losing weight again. Insane.

Anyway, I am anxiously awaiting my lab results from Monday. Hopefully it is all good news.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home