04 August 2007

Running is hard.

Curious thing for me to say, yes? Not anymore because I RAN!!!! A-woo-hoo!!! So we know about the 10K I had planned on walking on Labor Day so I went out this afternoon planning on walking 3 miles and try to do it in under an hour. About 1/4 of a mile in, I thought to myself, y'know, I should try running/jogging. I started to get nervous, can you believe it? I could feel my heart rate increase and I could feel it in my chest. I decided that when I got to the 1/2 mile mark, I would do a slow jog for about 25 yards or so. As soon as I hit the mark, I started to jog and I jogged for about 25-30 yards. When I stopped, I was a grinnin' fool. I walked another 1/3 of a mile to catch my breath and recover from the shock of it all and ran another 30 yards or so! In all, in the 2 mile course, I ran maybe 1/5-1/4 of a mile total. The 2nd mile was tougher than the first, but I did it! I am so freakin' happy, I could dance the jig, but God Almighty I'm pooped!

This is a huge, massive step for me. I can't even tell you the last time I ran because I can't even remember ... middle school maybe? I don't know, but I actually did it! I'm on a total high. Needless to say, no way in hell I could have done that a year ago. I did learn two things though, one, I need better shoes, two, is there such a thing as a sports girdle cuz, yeah, I need one? I thought about Spanx, but is that good for jogging? I have no clue. I seem to be okay, no dizzyness or urgency to poop so that's cool, but I'm wondering if there is something pre and post exercise that I should be doing, like protein shakes or something. I had a bottle of water with me the entire two miles and finished the whole 20 oz during it. I wonder if I need to up my calories/protein if I am going to be doing this consistently.

I stink and I'm gross and sweaty, but today is definitely a highlight. I can't wait to get out there tomorrow. :)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home