29 July 2007

One more day....

Boy, I haven't had a day like yesterday. I thought I was back to normal, but I so was not. I must have slept most of the day away. I think it was a combination of the after-effects of the anesthesia and being dehydrated and not getting enough protein in the day before. Today I actually feel like a normal human being.

Gonna go hang out with a bunch of DSers this afternoon...woo-hoo! Needless to say, I am excited and will be taking a ton of pictures and I promise to be in at least a couple of them!

This morning, I weighed in at 307.8 lbs which puts me at a 17.4 lbs so far with one day left in my 11th month and a grand total of 208.8 lbs loss. This month has just been wild, so many ups and downs, but each month I learn a whole lot about myself and my body. If there is one myth about WLS that I can happily dispell is the one that says all you have to do is get the surgery and everything will work out on it's own. Oh, how very wrong that is. This is hard work, all you pre-ops out there be warned, vigilance and compliance are mandatory. I considered myself pretty well-informed before my surgery, but honestly, I had no freakin' idea. It's hard to conceptualize not being able to eat certain foods (that you used to like) that now cause you much pain and aggravation when you have no problems now. It's hard to imagine how distressing crazy poop is until you have day after day of crazy poop. I remember reading about a lady's struggle with getting her water in and I couldn't fathom what that was like, until I had my surgery and found myself in her shoes wondering how I'd ever get it done. I don't want to scare anyone, I just want anyone who is considering WLS, especially the DS, to realize and understand that it's not all rose petals, butterflies and rainbows. It can be tough, but it is BY FAR, the best thing I ever did for myself, without question.

On the Duodenal Switch Suport Forum there is a section called "Cautionary Tales: Lessons I Have Learned." My three favorite threads are Start as you intend to finish, What I lacked in brains, I'm making up with effort and You Don't Need to Be Perfect -- Just Do Something.

Sorry about the semi-rant, just want to be as realistic about my own experience as possible and show that you can learn a great deal about other people's trials and tribulations. Anyway, gonna try some scrambled eggs and hopefully they will sit well in my tummy and then maybe I can have a normal meal at lunch today!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home