23 July 2007

Lots of steps

I'm "working" from home today and decided to go out and do my walk while the park was probably mostly empty versus trying to go after "work" when everybody and their cousin would be out there. The weather was wonderful, low 80's with a wonderfully intermittent breeze. I could have stayed out there all day. Couple of things I noticed, first... I'm a little rusty. I could feel it in my hips the first 1/2 mile, but things settled down. Two, I can walk much faster than I could a few months ago WITHOUT doing a lot of heavin'. Pretty cool, and lastly, I need to make up my mind and get some tennis shoes already. I just can't make up my mind...I went to all these running sites (like I'm gonna run anytime soon...heh) and from what I can glean I am a flat-footer who over-pronates and so I need good motion control shoes. I pooh-poohed this idea but now I think there might actually be something to it. Imagine that.

I started to get some ankle pain about a mile and a half into my walk and by the time I was done, it ached a little, but I didn't give too much worry to it. I got in my car and drove to the grocery store and when I stepped out I felt a pop in the arch of my left foot. I've had that happen before, but not as painful as this time around. It took a good 20-25 steps before it worked itself out and now it's fine. I'm guessing that with the weight loss the pressure on my arch is not as great and there are just some adjustments that need to take place in my foot. I took the soles out of my current tennis shoes long ago so I either have to try to remember where I put them, buy some new soles or get some new shoes. Hopefully that will solve the problem, but besides that I did my 2 mile walk in around 38 minutes without really getting a good sweat. The first mile I did in 18 mins, the second in 20. I am hoping to be able to do 3 miles in a hour by the next week or so. My modest goal is to walk the 10K in under 3 hours. I know that sounds generous, but we are talking about some serious hills here...

I weighed in at 311.2 lbs this morning for a total loss of 205.4 lbs. I ate pretty well yesterday, 2700+ calories, 177g fat, 63g carbs and 208g protein. I do have a confession to make... I treated myself to a slice of cheese yesterday. I scrambled it up with two eggs for a midday meal. Yummmmm and I did pay for it later am paying for it still, but it was sooo worth it.

Okay, completely random thing: I am really enjoying crossing my legs. It's a marker of womanhood that for years I never had the joy of claiming. Stuff like that not only makes me feel human, but a woman indeed!!!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always find that I have to try tennies on in the store and walk around in them--I can't buy walking shoes on the net. With the neuropathy in my feet flaring up, it's even more essential that they "feel comfortable."

I just bought a wonderful pair of Asics, which I've never tried before. They are really fantastic. But that's me.

I highly recommend doing a "test run" in the store--and DO NOT wear NEW shoes to the 10K; that is like asking for blisters and injuries. Get those shoes broken in, also.
My husband used to do marathons before he hurt his ankle and he always ran marathons in his most comfortable, beat-up shoes.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Jules

July 24, 2007 at 12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home