08 January 2007

Uno

The birthday party I went to last night was pretty cool. The food was great. Prime rib, roasted potatoes and green beans. I had plenty of prime rib, 2-3 bites of potato, a piece of bread and some green beans. I also had a two-bite brownie. Needless to say, I had killer gas all night long. The wine was flowing last night (except for me as I don't drink) and we decided to play Uno of all things. It was fun for awhile until one person was getting frustrated because everyone else was not taking it all that serious. I mean, who takes Uno seriously?

Anyway, this morning I got up and did a two mile walk in 46 minutes. Woo-hoo! I didn't feel exhausted or overly tired at all. Even a good two hours later, I don't feel any aches and pains out of the ordinary so that's a good sign. It was crazy windy this morning, but the sky was a wonderful bright blue and the sun was magnificent. A HUGE change from yesterday's downpour.

I'm having slow bowel issues again. Grrrrr. Now that I think about it, I'll have to check my fat intake for the past week or so to see where I am at. My water/liquid intake is up so I don't think that's the problem. I dunno we'll see.

My weight this morning was 405. I woke feeling like I was retaining a bit of water, probably from the carbs I had last night. As I was pooting up a storm last night something occurred to me. I think my low tolerance to carbs now is just on par with my high sensitivity to carbs pre-op. I was on Metformin for insulin resistance and was directed to watch carbs, it only makes sense that just because I don't take the it anymore it doesn't mean the low tolerance is gone. I have to admit to wondering why some post-ops seem to not have issues with carbs, even in the 50-100 grams per day range, and I seem to have so many issues with them. Yesterday, I maybe had 40-50 grams, not really a lot in the scheme of things, but for me way out of the ordinary. I would say, on average, I take in maybe sub 20 grams of carbs a day. During the weight loss phase I don't really see that changing unless I'm willing to start taking Metformin again and I sure as hell don't want to do that. That stuff sucks, takes two weeks of cramps and diarrhea for my system to get used to it. Hells no.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My advice is to up your level of fats and see if you can speed stuff through your system. Don't overdo it, choose healthy fats (avocado works wonders for me, for whatever reason), and see how it goes.

I was a severely out of control diabetic (on Metformin and two other meds but my glucose was still 388 the morning of surgery), and I still have trouble tolerating carbs -- hey, I'm not *cured* of diabetes (as even the DS surgeons say), I'm in *remission* -- and so it makes sense to me that my sensitivity to carbs persists despite now-normal blood sugar numbers.

You're entirely inspiring.

January 8, 2007 at 2:50 PM  
Blogger Tia L. said...

Thanks Deluzy, I appreciate the advice and the compliment, especially from someone I admire so much!

January 8, 2007 at 6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home