29 April 2007

Number Crunching

Tomorrow will be a good day. Besides being payday (which means more toys for my camera) it is also be the end of month 8 for me. This morning I weighed in at 352.4 lbs for a total loss for the month with one day remaining at 17.2 lbs and a grand total of 164.2 lbs. Woo-hoo!

I did some number crunching specifically related to the day I stopped eating cheese and what my loss was like before and after. Here are the results:

Date Range Start End Total Loss
2/19 - 3/25 389.6 378.4 -11.2 lbs
3/26 - 4/29 378.4 352.4 -26.0 lbs

The difference is clear, I lost over twice as much in the last five weeks, than I did in the first five! Amazing. My goal in May is to have a really clean month. This month, I had a few lapses, but will still end the month down 17+ lbs. In May, I want to see what the weight loss will be like when I am super compliant with everything from food to water to vitamins/supplements.

All of this just reinforces the fact that having this surgery is not a quick fix, the weight just won't fall off without any effort on your part, you can't eat whatever the heck you want, all of this requires hard work and vigilance. My diet, nutrition and health still occupies a great deal of my time and energy and that will be the case for a good long while. Just when I think I have something down pat, something else rears it's ugly head and then it's back to asking questions, really evaluating what I'm eating & drinking, being mindful of my poop patterns (as gross as that sounds) and how I generally feel day in and day out. I'll tell you one thing, for me and a lot of DSers, poop tells the story. There are two things that are indicative of me having issues, weight loss and poop patterns. Get on any Duodenal Switch message board and I guarantee you there will be quite a few poop related posts. I've gotten good at knowing how much poop there should be, how often I should be going and most importantly, what effect my diet has on my poop and it's frequency. If you pay attention to your poop patterns it'll help you troubleshoot problems when they occur.

I tell ya, I've never talked about poop in my life as much as I have in the last 8 months! Anyway, enough of that. According to my own personal goals, I am roughly 1/2 way there. Dr. Marchesini has said 250-260 would be a good goal weight for me to start considering plastics with the end goal of ending around 200. Personally, I'd be happy at 200 lbs before I start considering plastics with the end result being around 185 lbs. My sister thinks that's too low for me, but I won't know until I get closer to that number. I'm a person who doesn't look their weight. People who have seen me at my highest can't believe I weighed that much and people who see me now, can't believe I weigh what I do. I think it's because I'm tall, almost 6 feet. I don't know where I will end up, but I am happy to be at least 1/2 way there in 8 months.

It's hard to reconcile where I was last August versus where I am now. I have been able to have some comfort in still being fat. I know that sounds weird, but it's something I know and it's something I can deal with. We're getting into unknown territory here and it's a little scary. I think the next six months are going to be really interesting for me. Boy, if you thought I had "head" issues now.... Speaking of, I have to ask this question. Airplane seats. I am hoping to lose another 20-30 lbs before I fly, putting me at around 325 lbs, how uncomforable is an airplane seat going to be at that point? Just thinking about it stresses me out...

Anyway, another beautiful day in Georgia and I am going to take advantage. Gonna take my camera out and get some sun.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home