07 August 2007

My legs...my legs!!!

I am tired. I am on house sitting duties for my business partner this week and I am having a heckuva time trying to get good sleep at night. First off, hers is an big, giant older home which creeks and groans nonstop, then she has two dogs and a cat that require a good amount of attention. I'll admit it, I am not much of an animal person. I've never been around them that much so it's not that I don't like them, they just take some getting used to. One of her dogs, Fefe (pronounced phee-phee) is a total pain in the ass and I am not the only one who thinks so. BP doesn't really like the dog, neither does her husband, but for some reason they are reluctant to find a more suitable family for it. Ugh.

Everything hurts. I walked Saturday, Sunday, took yesterday off and then walked today. Good grief, the aches and pains. Jogging has done a number on me. I think my problem is weak lower body strength and I don't think it's something I can solve before the race. I may have to forgo any jogging until after the race. I think my overall endurance is good, but honestly, it's like I'm doing long-distance strength training when I try to incorporate some jogging. I think after the race, I'm going to hit the gym and work on strengthening my lower body, it's probably one of the reasons why I am such a pear shape right now.

I weighed in at 309.2 lbs this morning but this was after I got home and after two protein shakes so I'm not sure where I am at. Overall, I've been feeling okay lately. I am having some issues with feeling lightheaded when I stand up too quickly. I gotta call my PCP about that and see about possibly getting off the BP meds.

Thursday I am having lunch with my friend, Eric. I mentioned or at least referred to him before. He has no idea about the surgery and has zero idea that I look any different. Eric is a cool dude and lunch should be fun. I find myself trying to figure out what I am going to wear. Silly, huh? I want to look as different to my prior self as possible. Most of this is born out of my (lingering) belief that I don't look *that* different. It's obvious in pictures, but Eric will only have his memory as a reference and I just don't know what to think. I'm trippin', I know, but I can't help it. This is really one of my first steps back into my life and group of friends from 3, 4, 5 years ago. Should be interesting.

My ass is starting to hurt again. What gives?

Anyway, I was asked about my chili recipe and before I do so, I do have to say that it isn't chili in the traditional sense, technically it's a really meaty spaghetti sauce and one could top a small portion of Dreamfield's pasta and be good to go. Anyway, I don't have any precise measurements, but here it is in a nutshell:

1.25 lbs of ground beef, I usually use 85/15.
1.0 lbs italian sausage (usually hot)
1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped onions, I buy the frozen pre-chopped kind from Kroger (they also carry frozen sliced onions & bell peppers).
2 TB butter
1 regular jar of the lowest carb count spaghetti sauce I can find. Some have as high as 13g of sugar, but I've found a couple that have 8-9 grams. I'm keeping things as low carb as I can, but you don't have to.

Basically, I ground the beef and pork sausage, add the onions (any maybe some peppers) and sauce and let it stew for a while. I add my favorite seasonings like garlic, Adobo powder (good stuff) and black pepper. This usually makes like 8 or so servings for me. I divide each portion in a container and this is going to sound crazy, but I add a tablespoon or two of butter in each container. Why? Because I need the calories. As a DSer, I know we poo the fat right out, but it tastes freakin delicious and it helps me keep thing regular PLUS it gives me a much needed caloric boost. The fact of the matter is I could get in 200 grams of protein and only get in less than 900 calories a day. That ain't gonna cut it. I'd be starving. Anyway, that is what I do. The copious amounts of butter are optional and if you are wondering, my cholesterol is 127. BTW, you could also top with your favorite cheese, I don't because me and cheese are not friends.

I eat this almost everyday, usually mid afternoon. I make a big pot once a week and I'm good to go, in fact, I'm fixin' to make a pot tonight. My previous batch I used red enchilada sauce instead of spaghetti sauce...YUM!!! It was pretty darn good, plus the enchilada sauce doesn't have as much sugar, but it is spicier. It reminds me of home so much. I think it will satisfy my cravings for cheese enchiladas ... my favorite food on the planet. My next attempts will be toward trying to figure out a low-carb high protein jambalaya.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home