03 January 2008

Seriously...

I'm being stalked by a cat, y'all. I'm not kidding. It's following me. I first saw it New Year's Eve Day when I went out to put my mail in the mailbox and it ran up to me and starting making noises and stuff. I think you would call it purring. I'd walk a few steps and it was right there next to me. I'd change directions and it did the same. I walked briskly toward my door and it anticipated my steps and headed the same direction. Ok, confession time. I am not what you would call an animal person. It's not that I don't like animals, I just never spent any significant time with them and so am just a little uneasy around them. My friend has three cats and I'm totally cool around them, but they just make me nervous a little bit, I mean have you seen "When Animals Attack!" or "Good Pets, Gone Bad." Just kidding...sort of. I tried to get ahold of the cat to read the name off the tag on it's leash, but the darn thing wouldn't sit still so I gave up on that.

Anyway, I hadn't seen the cat in a few days so I assumed it went back home, but today I went out to get my garbage can from the street and here comes the cat shooting right around the corner and it plops itself right at my feet and now it's even more clingy. I can't go two inches without it mirroring my every move, not to mention the fact that the garage door is open and there's no way for me to keep the cat out and get the garage door down because all my other doors are locked. So, in rapid succession I leave the garage door open, fake out the cat and run in my house. I get a bowl of water and some leftover pork ribs and I grab my extra garage door opener. I exit the front door, the cat hears this and make a beeline right to me. I put the water and the pork off to the side. While the cat drinks and nibbles, I push the button on the garage door opener so that the garage door closes. Once it's closed, I quickly enter the house back through the front door. A couple of seconds later, I can hear the cat meowing. I'm not sure what to do y'all. Obviously the cat's been somewhere the last two days so I'm guessing the owner is letting it out to romp around. I don't know. I may have to get my friend whose more familiar with cats to come over and help me deal with it. Oy.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girl,

I am a long time cat owner and lover, and from what you've described, you have one of two situations:

1. the cat is simply a mooch--wants you to feed it--which, now that you have will be back for MORE.

2. the cat is lost or has been abandoned by its owner and is genuinely hungry and lonely.

If at all possible, get the phone number of the cat's tag and call the owners. They may be able to fill you in.

Either way, unless you want a kitty friend, stop feeding the cat unless you want company.

If you find that the cat is indeed homeless, and you do not want a pet, please take it to a no-kill shelter so that someone can adopt him or her.

Cats are wonderful pets, low maintenance, very loving, and also highly entertaining. We have two and wish we could afford more.

Good luck!

Jules

January 4, 2008 at 5:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home