12 January 2007

Progress...finally

I weighed in today at 403.6. I finally got things moving. It boggles the mind as to what I needed to do, but I can't deny the results. What did I do? I ate. I ate and ate some more (included in "ate" is drinking protein shakes). I had a whopping 249 grams of protein yesterday! Apparently the 180 grams per day I was doing is not enough. Sigh.

Me thinks it's a combination of things that make my protein requirement this high. First, I'm a big girl, I stand almost 6' tall and currently weight 400+ lbs, down from 500+. This is still a weight that far exceeds many people's starting weights and that is a lot of weight to be trucking around day in and day out. Second, my common channel is only 65 cm which may mean less absorption (I'm not 100% sure about this though) and third, my 45 min walks in the morning are probably burning a lot of calories. I think all those three things combined mean I gotta eat more to lose weight.

I feel like I ate non-stop yesterday, but in reality isn't wasn't all that hard to get to 250 grams. I added another protein shake and a snack. Getting in the additional water, now that was a pain in the ass. I don't know if 250g is where I need to be or not, maybe I overshot the actual mark, but I will try to do 250 through the weekend to see what happens. Fitday says I had 1800 calories, but I suspect, due to malabsorption, in actuality it's more like 600-700 calories, most from protein.

It's funny/ironic because I remember reading about someone on OH who started off near my starting weight, somewhat exercised and regularly ate 200+ grams of protein a day and lost like a fiend. I thought this person was crazy but maybe not so much.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes. I'm trying to hold off seeing my doctor til my next appoint in February, but I may call her Monday to move it up.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Man, it's a struggle for me to get even 90 g of protein in a day. I do ok with the 10 glasses of water. And I'm not quite 5'10" and they told me I needed an about 100 cm common channel. Amazing what diversity there is in this surgery.

*S*

January 15, 2007 at 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home