23 January 2007

Too much protein???

Ok, today so far has been much better than yesterday which was a struggle. I went to walk this morning and it was cold and windy, but I felt refreshed. I went to the grocery and picked up a few things and something that Kim said popped in my mind as I was walking around. She mentioned that I had a shift in my center of gravity. I definitely feel that, either that or I've gotten more clumsy. I often feel like I am walking weird or that my gait is not as smooth as it could be. I notice that when I walk I tend to lean forward a lot. Anyway, I got home and my stomach immediately started to cramp and I rushed to the bathroom and let's just say, I had a big, big poop. My innards immediately felt better.

I'm still very confused about how much protein I should be getting. If I am in the 140 range, I start to retain water and have problems.

Yesterday I had a moderate day because I didn't walk:

B: 3.25 ounces deli turkey, slice of mild cheddar (28 g protein)
S: Protein shake (50g)
L: 1/2 burrito - 1 low carb tortilla, 2 eggs, 1 slices of bacon, 2 slices of cheese (17.5g)
S: 1/2 burrito (17.5g)
D: Protein shake (50g)

Total: 1133 calories, 47g fat, 22g carbs (11g fiber), 163g protein.

A typical day when I do walk:
B: Protein drink (46 g)
S: 1/2 burrito (17.5g)
L: 1/2 burrito (17.5g)
S: Protein drink (50 g)
D: Grilled fish in a garlic butter sauce (34g)
S: Protein drink (50 g)

Total: 1683 calories, 84g fat, 10g carbs, 218g protein.

As you can see, I am getting a lot of my protein from protein drinks. It would be impossible to get that much in through regular food. I don't know, maybe it's more about calories than just protein. Maybe that's too much protein. Truth be told, it's hard drinking 3 shakes a day. Well, maybe hard is the wrong word.... It's not hard to drink 3 shakes, it's just a pain. What I may do is just drop it down to 160 and increase my fat intake. That'll get me more calories without having to feel like I am eating all day long. Any suggestions? The scale said 398, btw.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Aussieabroad said...

What protein drink are you using? Mine only gives me 21 or 23grams...

Thanks

I'm hoping some of the more experienced DS'ers will be able to give you some feedback... this is all so new for me too. My gut tells me that whatever you're doing seems to be working for you!

January 23, 2007 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger Tia L. said...

I use Nectar Roadside Lemonade made by Syntrax(?) and I just acquired a big old container of All The Whey unflavored protein. I usually mix two scoops with cold water and a few ice cubes. Two scoops of the Nectar is 46g and two of the All The Way is 50g.

Some days I feel like I am right on track, others I feel like I should be losing faster. I did really well at the beginning of the month then from then on it's really been sluggish. I feel like I've been losing the same 3-4 lbs for the past two weeks. Frustrating. Although I'll end the month good, it really only makes up for the crappy December I had.

January 23, 2007 at 3:00 PM  
Blogger Aussieabroad said...

Thanks. I was looking at the roadside lemonade today. Was halfway through placing an order then realized that doing it at work probably wasn't the smartest thing.

I'll order some tonight... I am sick to death of the stuff I have.

Slow downs are tough - I seem to be falling into a pattern of 2 good weeks and then 2 slow weeks. We'll see what the next month holds.

January 23, 2007 at 3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm *so* not an expert on this, but it seems as if you might need to up your *calories,* (not your protein) to avoid the whole body-thinks-you're-starving syndrome. I was eating around 1,500-1,800 calories around month five or six, and I started at 280 -- so maybe you actually need a few more?

There *is* a good site to calculate number of calories you need to maintain a current weight, number you need to keep losing (though of course it's programmed with regular folks, not DSers, in mind ...

See if this is helpful ... (look toward the bottom of the screen once the page comes up):

http://www.thinnerself.com/files/calculator.htm

January 24, 2007 at 9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home