24 May 2007

Irony of Ironies

For shits and giggles today I went and checked the benefits package, specifically the particulars of our medical insurace of the new company I am working for to see if they have exclusions for weight loss surgery....wonder of all wonders, they don't. Geez. It's a good thing though, because it's there if someone needs it. They have thousands of employees so I know it'll come into good use.

I saw a friend of mine today that I hadn't seen in 4 years. He didn't mention anything about the way I look. Thank God (kinda). I mean it would have been great to hear "Oh my God, Tia, you look great." but then again, we were surrounded by people who have no idea I used to be fatter than fat, now I'm just fat. He may have noticed, but just didn't say anything, who knows.

Anyway, I am so freaking sore. Here's something you may not know about Atlanta. Atlanta is very hilly. If there is any flat terrain anywhere, it's because man made it. So I've been having to walk a lot more this past week than I normally do. I walk about 1/3 mile from my bus stop to my job and then I have to walk 1/2 a mile from work to the outgoing bus stop, not to mention the compound/campus/location where my job is, they didn't bother to level it all out, so there are lots of stairs and stuff. It's not bad, I have committed myself to taking the stairs whenever possible. I'm not fast going up them, but I do it and now my hips are sore, my knees, my calves, my shins, my ass. Oy! I know this is all temporary and my body will get used to it, but right now, it's no fun. BUT I will tell you this, I would have never, EVER, ever been able to do this 9 months ago. No freaking way. I like my little power walks to and from work, believe it or not. I feel like I'm doin' somethin'! Sounds silly, but I sling my messenger bag over my shoulder and off I go and you know what? I'm not really tired afterwards, not at all. It feels good actually.

For so long I've felt invisible and now it's like I'm coming into existence, I do have a life to live, I do belong and there are things in this world for me.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"For so long I've felt invisible and now it's like I'm coming into existence, I do have a life to live, I do belong and there are things in this world for me."

Amen, sister! Beautifully said. And so very true.

May 25, 2007 at 9:50 AM  
Blogger Mamacita Chilena said...

Its the little victories. Soon even just walking up the stairs will feel good too! Congrats!

May 25, 2007 at 9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home