09 July 2007

Moving Along....

For the past several weeks, actually more like the past few months, I have been enjoying a morning cup of coffee during the work week. One cup of whatever has been brewed, Splenda and some lactose-free creamer. Prior to this, I was not much of a coffee drinker, I was never known to buy it, brew it or desire it at all, but when I started working a real job, I figured, what the hey. Part of that was it was mid winter and a nice cup of coffee after coming in from the cold was nice. This week, I've given up coffee (in my efforts to get my nutrition in order) and boy, I was feeling it this afternoon...I have been seriously dragging. This is my theory, of course, if it's not the lack of caffeine and something else more serious, I will be pissed.

More poop talk. My poop pattern has done a complete 180. It's unbelievable. Transit time is like a day instead of 4 or 5. I don't know if that is a good thing or not. I am going 3-4 times in rapid succession in the morning then maybe 2-4 times throughout the rest of the day. What worries me is that things might be going through me too fast, y'know? I don't know, I am giving myself a week to see how things go.

I've been consuming food like a mad woman. I'll end the day today at around 2500 calories, 180+ grams of protein, 165+ grams of fat and around 80 grams of carbs, 25-30 grams of that fiber. It wasn't that difficult to do, but I am anxiously awaiting my Nectar as it makes getting protein shakes in much easier. I bought a couple of things of Muscle Milk which has 22g of protein per bottle. I've had 2 so far to day and will have the last one in about an hour or so to round out the day. I do like they have a good amount of protein and they taste okay, but they also taste very sweet, at least to me and my sense of what is sweet is skewed and has been since surgery. I think going forward I will do 2 shakes a day + three regular meals. Just thinking about it makes me feel better. I can't even imagine what it would be like trying to consistently get in what I need to get in by food alone. Ugh, that would suck.

Weighed in at 328.4 lbs this morning which is to be expected. For the first several days after really increasing my intake, the scale climbs, but I am hoping that it will start to drop off soon. We'll see.

Counting the days til I see the gastroenterologist.....

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Transit time is like a day ... I am going 3-4 times in rapid succession in the morning then maybe 2-4 times throughout the rest of the day."

For what it's worth, that's my pattern exactly and has been for many months now.

Just keep doing your labs faithfully -- they'll be one of the indicators of whether the transit time is too fast and you're not absorbing enough.

I'm waiting for the results of my 19-mos. labs right now with slight anxiety about the same issue.

I loved Muscle Milk, though I now do Pure Protein RTD shakes. They're not as tasty, though.

Kim of TALES OF THE MORBIDLY OBESE swears by Roadside Nectar.

July 9, 2007 at 10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey T-

I think you definitely need to eat before you get to the bus stop. YOu have to get that metabolism cooking. Now, I do HAVE to pee about 1 hour after I do the shake, but your pattern above is not far off of mine either.

I do have the yellow poops especially when I go too long with out eating.

No need to be hungry. Keep yourself fed.

Hey, how about considering doing the Cobb 10k? You can walk the thing if you like. I think it would be a major triumph for you. It is 6.2 miles from Cumberland Mall to White Water on Labor Day.

We are going to do it. How about you?

July 10, 2007 at 10:35 PM  
Blogger Tia L. said...

Deluzy,

I will give the Pure Protein a try. I really like Nectar, but mixing that stuff is somewhat of a pain, I like the idea of grab and go.

BTW, I spent some time the day before yesterday entering all my lab results. I see many improvements in my cholesterol, iron (after the initial dip) and other blood work. I do see a slight downward trend in protein, but nothing dramatic and it's all in the normal range. I think my albumin went from 4.1 pre-op in July of last year to 3.9 in May of this year.

July 11, 2007 at 8:04 AM  
Blogger Tia L. said...

Kim,

You & Beth are doing it, I'm guessing? Geez ... that's freakin' far ... and hilly. I'm visualizing the route in my head since I've been up and down Cobb Parkway a million times. Wow, I will think about it and give myself til the weekend to decide. It's about 7.5 weeks away ... is that enough time to train? If I have a plan to work up to it by Labor Day, then I think I just might!

July 11, 2007 at 8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home