10 November 2007

Pictures and more pictures

I am sooooo excited! I am again going to do a few photo sessions for friends for the holidays! Yea! Now that I have a good camera and good equipment, I am way, way ecstatic about it! Right now I have a sitting for a 3 year old, another for a whole family including that 3-year-old, and two different sittings for mother/son combos. I also possibly have another family, but am not sure. I am not charging anyone anything, I'm doing it for the fun of it and because I want to get better. Last year's efforts were okay, I wasn't too happy because as it turns out, the camera I was using was on it's last legs and actually it was out of commission within a couple of weeks. I'm hoping that this go around will be much better. So excited!

Y'know at 14 months out, I thought I could chow down pretty well, now I think it's all relative. I know our stomachs stretch after surgery and I know mine has, but honestly, I don't think it has that much. As y'all know, I'm fond of cooking food in mass quantities and dividing it up in small containers and lately I've been using these 9.5 oz plastic containers from Kroger. They are perfect. With my chilis, I fill up to around the 8.5 oz mark and I can usually eat that in one sitting, in about 15-20 minutes. I've learned from experience that eating too fast can cause dire consequences. Anyway, I read on OH about a lady who had been hankering for some Mickey D's fries and so gave in and ordered 20 nuggets, a double cheeseburger, 1 large order of fries and 3 cookies. She said she ate this in about 45 minutes, she's about 2 1/2 years post-op Duodenal Switch. Holy shit, that is amazing! I couldn't do that pre-op! I don't know if that is impressive or scary. A few weeks ago I had a McDonalds double cheeseburger and could barely finish it. Wow. She seems to be doing well, so more power to her, that's for sure. I just don't know if I want to be eating that way, I don't think I'd complain though if the weight continued to stay off. I'd like to be able to eat a normal sized meal, I'm not there just yet. It's amazing how different people are and how powerful the DS can be!

Thanksgiving is just around the corner and I'm pretty excited. I'm sticking to plan as best as I can because I plan to have some great food on that day and ONLY on that day, however I don't want to go all out crazy. There are a few things I am really looking forward to, namely the Honeybaked Ham and the mashed potatoes. I am most likely spending part of Thanksgiving at BP's house and her husband is a chef (thank you God) and the boy can cook. I absolutely love his mashed potatoes, I don't know what he does but they are delicious, buttery and even more delicious. One of my favorite things is to take ham and scoop up some mashed potatoes and eat it like that. Yum. Anyway, I'm typically in charge of a side dish and I am trying to come up with something that "normal" people will enjoy but is DS-friendly. There will be the usual suspects of turkey, dressing, fresh green beans, etc. I gotta think of something good. My initial thought is to make a baked macaroni & cheese made with Dreamfield's pasta. It should fit well with the meal and keep that day's carb count down.

I'm going to out for a walk this afternoon, get some fresh air, then come back and hope and pray my alma mater can win a freakin' football game. Good grief.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the photo shoots -- I love the images you've posted links to in the past.

Re: the woman on OH.com and the quantities she can eat: I've been struck by that element of her posts in the past as well. As you say, she seems to be doing well; even for a DSer who can eat normal portions now, though, I find it amazing.

Just as a point of comparison, I can eat a Quarter Pounder with cheese, minus half the bun, 5 nuggets, and a few fries at one sitting (I don't do this often, but I do it). I figure that's a normal-sized portion for a normal-sized person.

And, over the course of a day, I eat often, every couple of hours, though not meals each and every time.

Just goes to show -- everyone's different.

P.S. A Honeybaked ham ... what a GOOD idea!

November 10, 2007 at 1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home