05 January 2008

Off you go!

I'm taking a quick break during Phase I of "The Great Purge" to eat some breakfast and make a quick post. I am tackling the 12 foot high pile of crap that's been sitting in my den for months. That's a slight exaggeration, but you get the idea. It's mostly clothes which I am divvying up into three smaller piles, one pile to donate to Dress For Success, another for Goodwill and another pile to keep. Right now it's a race between the DFS pile and the Goodwill pile. Almost 95% of the DFS clothes I have never worn and almost 95% of the Goodwill pile I have worn.

Let me take a moment to explain a little more about "The Great Purge" and why it's one of my things for 2008. Several years ago, I was a big X-Files fan -- well that's an understatement, I was an obsessed X-Files fan. I was a NERD to the tenth degree. Looking back on it, I was way too emotionally involved in that show and it's characters because frankly, my own life was so devoid of real companionship and so I could vicariously have this deep, intimate relationship with Mulder and Scully. Yeah, it was pretty sad. Of course, I didn't realize it at the time, but now I do and that's just not me anymore. Time for Tia to play in the real world, not fantasy land. Anyway, what triggered this was a lunch I had in July (and I think mentioned on this blog) with a friend I hadn't seen in a good while. He off-handedly asked me if I was still into the X-Files and I sort of laughed it off and said "uh, no", but it stuck in my head that that's who he knows me as and it didn't really bother me at the time, but over the course of the next few months it stewed and grew into a desire to not hang onto the things that are not what I want in my life. This was all cemented when I talked to my cousin at that Christmas party. She said "have a vision of your life and make it happen. Do things that support that vision, get rid of the things that don't." So that's what I am doing. I am going to go through every single item in my whole house and I am going to ask myself "Does this support my vision?" If it doesn't, out it goes. Cause seriously, what do Mulder & Scully action figures have to do with my life? Why am I keeping purses I never use and don't like? How is the printer that hasn't worked in 5 years doing anything for me?

I know it's probably going to take me a good 5-6 weekends to get it all done, but that's okay. I want to get it done. Getting rid of all this crap also means I can finally make my house feel like a home. How cool is that?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home