25 March 2007

Paradigm Shift

I am going to do something radical for the next two weeks. I am frustrated with my weight loss. I've done pretty darn good the last few weeks, not great, but certainly not bad and I've only seen a 10 lb loss or so in a month. Unacceptable. I still have clost to 200 lbs to go and that rate is just not good. I've been thinking about some of the things I can change and one thing for sure is I am going to up my protein at least 20 more grams per day. 90 grams per day just isn't enough so I am going to introduce back in a protein shake either during the day or in the morning. I lost the same amount in the past four good weeks that I did in the four not so good weeks, so I figure, if I am going to be good, then I might as well put myself in the best possible position.

Besides more protein, I am going to eliminate cheese and wheat from my diet. I love cheese, cheese is my favorite food. I eat cheese every single day and have for most of my life, but I think cheese is causing me problems. I am having constipation issues and my bowels are just plain sluggish. I wake up feeling stuffed and not the good "stuffed", the good god, I feel like I have 20 lbs of poop in my gut stuffed, especially today. I've been pooping all day. I eat a lot of cheese, probably 4-6 slices of American and then I snack on cheddar and Monterrey Jack cheese cubes. Then there's the Nature's Own Wheat Bread I now love. I eat 2-3 slices a day some days. Both of these are gone for at least two weeks.

The other thing I am going to do is only drink water. I've taken to drinking a cup of coffee every morning at work. I put in creamer and a couple packs of Splenda and it's great, but I've never been a coffee drinker and since I'm not 100% sure what the effect on me is, I'm cutting it out.

Lastly and the most painful and difficult, I am putting the scales away. I really identify with Deluzy's post about one's subconscious issues dealing with hitting certain milestones or goals during this weight loss journey. I truly believe that my issues as of late have a lot to do with my own fears about being thin -- essentially, the great unknown. Scales are evil, we all know this and I've been weighing everyday for almost 6 months and I think it would be good to have that break from it. I will to, by the way, take it to a friends house because the temptation will be too great!

Anyway, to recap.
1. 110-130 grams of good protein a day.
2. No cheese or wheat products. Gonna focus on good non-processed meats, fish & veggies.
3. Water only. No sugar-free drinks, no coffee, no diet sodas.
4. No weighing. No scales.

My lowest this week (Wednesday) was 375.0 which is right at my lowest in 10 years (I swear I can't believer I weighed 516 lbs, geez). Today I weighed in at 378.4 lbs. I suspect that tomorrow, if I were to weigh, would see a significant drop, but I won't know. I started the month around 387 or so so you can see how not happy I am right now. Easter Sunday is when I will weigh again. My hope is to be down 10-15 lbs or so. It's weird I feel like I've already lost the weight, but I just need to be cleaner with my diet and nutrition in order to reflect it.

Anyway, it's near perfect weather here in Atlanta and I'm going to run around and enjoy it whilst I give my allergies a fit!

Update
One more thing to add, exercise! I walked after work once last week and woke up the next morning with stuffed up sinuses and watery eyes, but I'm not going to let the pollen deter me!

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEAH!!!!!

I love hearing you talk about eating healthy. I think you see the answers you need.

Way to go T!

March 27, 2007 at 5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home