08 January 2008

Able-bodied

I talked to my parents about my running and they very nearly completely bummed me out. My dad was like "oh, c'mon" in sort of a "what are you up to now?" kind of tone which was a little surprising. When I asked him why he said that she mumbled and said something like he didn't want me to hurt myself and do damage to my body. My mom was a little more neutral but when I told her about my dad's reaction she was said she felt the same way, but didn't say so. Dang. Obviously they don't get what I am trying to do here and I guess that's okay, but it still stings. I have to look at it from their point of view, they are very, very old school and "running for sport" is not something they can wrap their 75+ year old brains around. It's not something you do unless someone or something is chasing you so maybe I have to give them some slack. It could also be that they haven't fully grasped how much of a different person I want to be and maybe it's my failure in not conveying that. I haven't really involved them in all the stuff I want to do in 2008 and how much I want to transform my life. As far as they are concerned, I'm just fine as I am (which was a long time coming) and while I certainly appreciate that, I want them to be happy for me and for me trying to achieve more. Oh well, in the past, I would have felt completely deflated, but I won't let that happen now. They are still going to be the first people I call when I finish my 10K in July.

Anyway, I'm not really that sore. It's barely noticeable, I feel it a little in my thighs and shins, but that's really it. It is supposed to be 72 ° today so how can I not go to park again? I mean, seriously, wouldn't that be a crime against all that good and holy in the world to not enjoy such a gift of warmth? I think so, so yeah, I'm out of here around noon! I'm just going to take leisurely walk, hardly brisk and just enjoy some good music and the sun on my skin.

This morning I weighed in at exactly what I weighed in yesterday at, 270.2 lbs. I gotta tell ya, I'm perplexed at how my body seems to not want to get below 270 lbs. This is not good for my psyche. It's also probably has to do with the running, my muscles are probably retaining some water due to soreness so I'm not going to panic and I do have to remind myself about the water weight I gained last month when I look back and see how long it's taking me to get below 270. I am being stubborn (stupidly probably) about one thing though -- I have grown to love my cups of coffee. I use decaf coffee, Splenda and the lowest carb coffee creamer I can find. I like my coffee with a lot of cream & Splenda and if I am being completely honest, each cup probably has anywhere from 10-15g of carbs. Yikes! I know, I know. I got hooked when I took a job in February. I tried to limit myself to one or two cups a day, but I will probably have to kiss the coffee good-bye as of right now. Bummer. It's my only "bad" thing. I guess if I can give up cheese, which is my favorite food and if I can go gluten free, then I can give up the coffee. Ok, fine, I am done with coffee. I just had my last cup and we'll see how things go.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, hugs to you -- bummer.

Yup, if they're 75+, you just gotta cut them some slack, know they don't get it but love you, and save the talk about running with friends and others.

*I* think it's terrific, btw. And yesterday I ordered the pedometer left a comment about on my blog -- thanks for that.

I have the C2K website bookmarked (and have for YEARS), but I'm intimidated.

I forget what weight I totally stalled at, but the actual number doesn't matter because it's all relative. I do recallthat it was a weight I couldn't remember ever having gone below as an adult, and so I figured, in this kind of New-Age-y way, that my body was being stubborn, and I simply had to be more stubborn than it. Eventually, the scale started moving down again.

January 8, 2008 at 1:22 PM  
Blogger Little Chef On The Prairie said...

Tia,

What a cool call that will be for you to make!!! Your parents will be so wowed! :)

Tiffany

January 8, 2008 at 8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home